This simple and fresh Mediterranean Orzo Salad Recipe is perfect for a summer potluck or quick weekday lunch. Packed full of veggies and flavor this vegetarian dish is easily meal-prepped and will last all week.
The BEST Orzo Salad Recipe!
This Mediterranean Orzo Salad recipe has quickly become our early summer favorite. I’m also loving cooking chicken breasts on the BBQ and paired with this orzo salad + crumbled feta, it’s *chef’s kiss*.
What I love most about this orzo salad recipe is that it can easily be part of your meal prep in advance and eaten throughout the week. So while it certainly feeds a crowd (it’s my new potluck go-to!), it also is a great recipe to make on the weekend to eat all week.
Orzo pasta salad often gets overlooked in favor of some other types of pasta but I’m here to tell you that orzo is really the way to go when it comes to pasta salad. Paired with a fresh lemon juice vinaigrette, you’ll be making this mediterranean orzo salad again and again.
What is Orzo?
Orzo is funny because it kind of falls into the grain category but also falls into the pasta category. Yes, I know pastas are made from grains but in my mind they’re different categories of food. Orzo is a small rice shaped pasta. It actually means “barley” in Italian because of how much it resembles the barley grain. Orzo can be thrown into soups and salads and even casseroles.
What makes orzo so great to work with is that it is so quick to cook. It’s usually done within 3-5 minutes! That makes this Mediterranean Orzo Salad a quick meal to prep.
Ingredients in Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- Orzo – cook according to package instructions or until al dente. You’ll usually find orzo in the pasta aisle.
- Cherry Tomatoes – you can use any kind of tomatoes but cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes add a delicious sweetness.
- Black olives – I like kalamata olives. Just be sure to pit or purchase pre-pitted olives.
- Red onions – you can also sub in green onions if preferred
- Sun dried tomatoes – either in oil or not works just fine. Use what you can find.
- Fresh Parsley – or any other fresh herbs you prefer.
- Feta Cheese – Be sure to purchase crumbled or crumble it yourself.
- Lemon vinaigrette – the most delicious dressing! A combo of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper.
How to Make Orzo Salad
This Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta is super easy to make and if you time it right, it can actually be ready in under 20 minutes.
STEP 1: COOK ORZO
Cook orzo in a large pot of boiling water, according to package instructions or until al dente.
STEP 2: MAKE DRESSING
Combine all dressing ingredients by shaking in a mason jar or whisking in a large bowl.
STEP 3: COMBINE SALAD
In a large bowl combine cherry tomatoes, black olives, red onion, sundried tomato and parsley. Add in orzo and top salad with desired amount of dressing (leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks). Once salad has cooled slightly toss in crumbled feta. Serve room temp or cold from the fridge.
Pair it with Chicken!
I personally love pairing this mediterranean orzo pasta salad with grilled chicken. For an easy BBQ chicken recipe I just dry rub two chicken breasts with sea salt, garlic powder, paprika and italian seasoning. No measuring, I just estimate until they’re covered. I rub the seasoning in with my hands to make sure they’re well coated. Then I throw them on the grill to cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. Pair it on top of this orzo salad with some crumbled feta and you’ve got yourself a full meal!
This orzo salad recipe can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Dressing can be stored separately in a mason jar or airtight container for up to 2 weeks and used on other dishes.
More Side Dishes You’ll Love
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
This simple and fresh Mediterranean Orzo Salad is perfect for a summer potluck or quick weekday lunch. Packed full of veggies and flavor this vegetarian dish is easily meal-prepped and will last all week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups uncooked orzo
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup black olives, pitted + halved
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook orzo according to package instructions
- In a large bowl combine cherry tomatoes, black olives, red onion, sundried tomato and parsley.
- When orzo is finished drain and add to bowl with veggies.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar. Give it a good shake.
- Top salad with desired amount of dressing (leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks).
- Once salad has cooled slightly add crumbled feta.
- Serve room temp or cold from the fridge.
Keywords: orzo salad recipe, mediterranean orzo salad
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.